Nana's Granola Bars (she adapted them from Ina Garden, and I adapted them a bit from her)
- 2 c old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 c sliced or chopped (I prefer chopped) raw almonds
- 1.5 c shredded coconut (unsweetened or sweetened)
- 1/3 c freshly ground flax seed (grind in a rinsed coffee grinder...if you don't grind flax the nutritional benefits are not even close to as wonderful)
- 2/3 c honey
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- splash of vanilla
- dash of salt
- chopped up dried fruit or dark chocolate chips or whatever you want. I like using dried cranberries...and lots of them (1 1/2 c)
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a pan with foil or parchment paper so you can lift the granola out of the pan when finished.
- Toss first 3 ingredients together in the lined pan and bake for 10 minutes, stirring twice until lightly toasted. Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the flax.
- Reduce oven to 300
- Place butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for just a minute (or it will get too hard) and pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture. Add fruit, chocolate, whatever random things you want, last.
- Pour it all into the same pan you used to toast the dry mixture. Press mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until light golden brown. Cool and break or cut into pieces.